Yesterday (whatever day) I told you about the summer shows that are well into their summer seasons. Today I want to talk about the shows I’m watching that just started their seasons and
It’s Not Too Late
4. TNT Monday Night Chick Shows (I don’t consider them necessarily chick shows, but since the leads are women most people probably do)
- The Closer (TNT) Monday at 9* – Kyra Sedgwick is just freaking awesome in this role. (And I don’t care if you think her accent is fake – I have known people who talk like that.) Brenda Leigh Johnson (Kyra), was brought in by her former lover (played by J. K. Simmons [of Spiderman, Law & Order, Oz] who would be happy to handcuff her at anytime) to head the Priority Homicide Division of the LAPD. Pissing everyone off because she gets the job done her way, effectively, is just a bonus. And the rest of the supporting cast couldn’t be better: G. W. Bailey (I don’t think of him as Capt. Harris as much anymore), Jon Tenney as her extremely patient fiancee, and too many others to name. The 4th season just started July 14. “Thank you, thank you so much.”
- Saving Grace (TNT) Monday at 10 – Holly Hunter is back for a 2nd season as troubled Oklahoma City detective Grace Hanadarko. More sinner than saint (who the hell isn’t?), Grace has been given a chance to redeem her life by the beer-drinking, tobacco-chewing, coolest-Guardian-Angel-ever Earl, (Leon Rippy, Deadwood). Laura San Giacomo is Rhetta, forensic scientist and best friend of Grace since childhood, who is fascinated by Earl and collects evidence of Grace’s experiences with him (his saliva, feather from his wings). The rest of the excellent supporting cast consists of Grace’s family and fellow detectives and co-workers. The season also started July 14.
5. USA Friday Night Detectives
- Monk (USA) Friday at 9 – The Defective Detective, Adrian Monk, is back for his 7th season. I’ve been a fan of Tony Shalhoub since Wings, he is just brilliant! One of the big changes this season is the addition of Hector Elizondo as Monk’s new psychiatrist (Stanley Kamel, who played Monk’s former psychiatrist Dr. Charles Kroger, passed away in April). The supporting cast of Ted Levine (“It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.”), Traylor Howard, and Jason Gray-Stanford, have all returned. This season’s premiere was just last Friday, July 18.
- Psych (USA) Friday at 10 – Honestly, when I first saw commercials for this show before it began, I thought it had a slim chance of lasting. Now it’s back for Season 3! I wasn’t familiar with James Roday before this show but I enjoyed Dulé Hill’s West Wing run. Dulé’s Gus is the perfect straight man to James’ Shawn. Throw in Corbin Bernsen as Shawn’s dad and the Carlton Lassiter character as the wannabe foil for Shawn’s “psychic” talent and you’ve got a quick, witty, intelligent comedy. Although I am really getting sick of the “Ebony & Ivory” commercial. The season started July 18 so hopefully they’ll come up with something else soon.
- (CBS) Sunday at 8, Tuesday at 9, Wednesday at 8 (Live) – Yes, I’m a BB junkie. Which is the only reason I’m back after the suckage of BB9. I really don’t think it can get worse, though I haven’t yet gotten as interested this season as I normally am. This season premiered on July 13 with 13 houseguests, the lowest number since BB4. BB10 is being called a “Back-to-Basics” season with the return of a live studio audience for eviction shows (not seen since BB1) and all of the houseguests are complete strangers for the first time since BB3. If you are really into this season, or are really bored, you can check out Big Brother: After Dark on Showtime Too every night from midnight to 3 am. It’s uncensored so you might catch some nudity, but don’t hold your breath.
I sound really negative about BB10 but just ignore that. I am trying to be optimistic about this season.
Tune in tomorrow, or sometime in the near future, when I’ll finally bring you the last of my 10 reasons, AKA Coming Soon: The Shows That Have Yet to Begin.
*All times are Eastern and PM unless otherwise noted.